Skip to main content

Scabs

 


This past Saturday, we attended the celebration of life for Shannon's son, Clayton.  

"How did it go?"

I don't know how to answer that question.  I don't know why it's called a "celebration of life."  No one was celebrating.  Most people were crying.  I think "remembrance of life" would be a more accurate description.  The ceremony was nice, if nice is the correct word to use.  Clayton's uncle was in charge of running the show, and did a good job keeping things moving.  A few family members shared stories about Clayton.  There was a lovely slideshow featuring photos of Clayton from baby to adulthood.  The weather was warm and sunny when we arrived.  As family members shared stories, clouds rolled in and the wind picked up.  Just as the slideshow began, fat raindrops started to split-splat on the tents and the heads of those of us not under the tents.  The rain intensified during the fifteen-minute slideshow, and when the slideshow ended, so did the rain.  Afterward, people milled about, visiting and partaking in refreshments for the allotted amount of time, then slowly drifted back to their cars as the cold wind brought on the shivers.  

Funerals and memorials are not for the deceased.  They are for those of us left behind.  They provide another opportunity to honor the person, to remember the life once lived, and to share those memories with loved ones.  I hope the ceremony brought closure to those who needed it.  To me, it felt like the scab got ripped off.  

As soon as we arrived, one person after another approached Shannon to shake his hand, give him a hug, offer condolences.  "I'm so sorry, Shannon."  "How are you holding up?"  "It's so unfair."  "Clayton was an amazing young man."  "If there is anything you need, let me know."  They were saying all the right things.  After all, this was why we were there.  These people showed up to support Shannon and honor Clayton.  And it felt like we were back at week one, the week after Clayton died.  The flood of condolences.  The tears.  The offers of help in any way that was needed.

I cannot imagine what it feels like to lose a child, but I know exactly what it feels like to lose a spouse.  The heart that shattered into a million tiny pieces has slowly, painfully, started to put itself back together.  The raw, gaping wound that was left has incrementally started to heal.  A tiny scab has formed, and with each passing day, the scab grows infinitesimally.  A hard day, a chance meeting with someone who didn't yet know of the death, a random conversation, a surprise memory, and the scab gets ripped off, only to begin forming again.  Day by day, week by week, the scab grows in fits and starts.  Nine and a half months since Scott died, five months since Clayton died.  The scabs are still raw and fragile.  

As more friends hugged Shannon, as more tears flowed, as more stories about Clayton were shared, I felt my scabs get ripped off again in one solid chunk.  I was back to that morning in December, standing in the bathroom with Shannon, listening to the voice of the officer on the other end of the phone.  I was back to that morning in August, doing CPR on Scott and praying the paramedics would arrive.  The wounds opened wide once again, and my heart broke and broke.  

Four days have passed since the service, and the scabs are forming once again.  Each time, they feel a little stronger, a bit more resilient.  Someday, I wonder if they might finally form a lasting scar.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Heavy

  I keep wondering if I'm approaching my breaking point.  What does that look like? It's too much.  But I've been saying it's too much for a while now.  So when is it actually too much? I pushed "Send" and my text whooshed off to my best friend, Denise.  Three dots immediately popped up on my screen.   You're stronger than you think.  Tell your brain to shut up.  You got this! I smiled at her reply, even if I doubted her confidence. In August, my husband of 17 years died.  One day, he was alive, healthy, vibrant, and strong.  The next day, he was dead.  Just like that.  No warning.  No preparation.  In an instant, my world crumbled into a million tiny bits that flung themselves to the far corners of the solar system.  I couldn't fathom how to get through that day, or the next, or the next.  I remember thinking, What does November even look like?  Or next summer?  How do I even get there? ...

Delivery

  I met a friend at a coffee shop yesterday afternoon for our monthly catch-up.  I arrived first, and while I was placing my order, I saw a former client of mine.  We hadn't seen each other in quite a while, and greeted each other with smiles and a hug.   I know what's coming. We exchanged pleasantries and small talk.   Any minute now... She asked a few questions about how my work was going and told me about her workouts and what she had been doing.   Any second now... And then she asked it.  The question I knew was coming.   "How's your husband doing?" "My husband died."  No hesitation.  No preamble.  No introduction.   She recoiled, took a step back, hand on her chest, jaw wide open. "Oh my God," she stammered.  "I'm so sorry.  I don't...I can't...I'm so sorry." I gave her a sympathetic smile.  "I'm sorry," I offered.  "I'm still working on my delivery.  I'm not quite sure how...

Signs

  It was Tuesday, March 10, last week.  It was my 47th birthday.  It was the first birthday since Scott died.  It was the first birthday since my mom moved into memory care.  Shannon was in Oregon working.  The alarm went off that morning at 4:00 am.  I had to be out the door for dog walk by 4:45 to get to my first clients by 6:30.  At 4:30, I started getting ready.  Put on my walking clothes, layering appropriately.  Put on the glowing green dog collars.  Grabbed my flashlight so I could see where I was going in the heavy darkness that is 4:45 am.   The dogs and I headed across the pasture on the same route we've done nearly every day since Scott died, the same walk he had done nearly every day since we moved into our house.  We made our way along the creek, up the switchbacks, onto the bench behind the house.  As we walked, I was throwing myself a pity party.  Here I was, once again walking in the darkness...