Skip to main content

Normal

 


Last year, I registered for a 14-day, 1,000 mile bike tour in Colorado.  The tour had close to 70,000 feet of climbing, all at high altitude.  Starting in March of last year, I trained hard.  I rode my bike five or six days a week, had a structured training plan, and followed it closely.  Every day, I would ride, then work, or work, then ride.  Weekends were consumed by long rides with lots of climbing.  That was the routine.  That was the rhythm.  That was the normal.  By the time July and the bike tour rolled around, I was in the best cycling shape of my life.  The tour was more than I ever thought it would be, and I felt great for all 14 days.  My training paid off.  Five days later, Scott died.

In January of this year, I signed up for another bike tour, also in July, also big miles, also lots of climbing.  I was excited for it.  I was ready to start training for it.  But.  Things happened.  Life happened.  The logistics of the tour, getting there, being gone for that long, struggling to find someone to watch the cats and dogs, missing work, all felt like too much.  Thoughts of the tour became more stressful than exciting.   I once read a quote that said, "Proceed as the way opens."  The way of the bike tour felt pretty closed.  On Monday of this week, I emailed the company and told them I needed to back out, that life was too unsettled right now to make it happen. 

Instead, I registered for a one-day, 85-mile gravel race in Hamilton on August 2.  August 2 is also the one-year mark of Scott's death.  I don't know what that day will look like, but I think it will look a lot better from a bicycle.  A one-day race feels manageable.  It feels accessible, not overwhelming or stressful.  However, the training for a one-day, 85-mile race is much different than for a two-week, 1,000 mile tour.  And it's not till August.  

This morning on our dog walk, I looked at Shannon and said, "I feel lost.  Last year was so structured.  Every day, I knew exactly what my training looked like.  This year isn't like that.  I don't know what I should do today."

He looked back at me, grinning.  "You say that with a smile," he said.

I nodded, smiled bigger.  The freedom felt good.  I could do a long road ride, or a hike, or a gravel ride, or any other number of things.  I chose a gravel ride, and it was spectacular.  

Last year, I had registered for the same 85-mile gravel race.  Last year it was held on August 3.  I texted Chad on August 2 and told him I would not make it to the race, that Scott had just died.  Last year, I had planned to do a few backpacking trips in the fall after my tour and race were finished.  I didn't have it in me after Scott died.  "Life is what happens when you're busy making plans," they say.

I got a text from a friend this morning.  It read, "Maybe the new rhythm right now is that there is no rhythm."  I think she's right.  We make plans, we seek rhythm, we crave normal.  Normal is a facade, a fallacy that offers us the illusion of control.  Really, there is no normal.  

I didn't plan for my mom to go into memory care.  I didn't plan for my husband to die.  I also never expected to find love again.  Yet here I am.  Sometimes it feels like the harder I strive for normal, for rhythm, the more elusive it becomes.  When I am able let go, like today, things feel easier.  For me, realizing and accepting that there is no normal, that every day has its own rhythm, and that every day is different, offers a modicum of peace.  

As the Buddha once said, "Letting go gives us freedom, and freedom is the only condition for happiness."  

Easier said than done, but I am sure going to give it my best shot.   


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Heavy

  I keep wondering if I'm approaching my breaking point.  What does that look like? It's too much.  But I've been saying it's too much for a while now.  So when is it actually too much? I pushed "Send" and my text whooshed off to my best friend, Denise.  Three dots immediately popped up on my screen.   You're stronger than you think.  Tell your brain to shut up.  You got this! I smiled at her reply, even if I doubted her confidence. In August, my husband of 17 years died.  One day, he was alive, healthy, vibrant, and strong.  The next day, he was dead.  Just like that.  No warning.  No preparation.  In an instant, my world crumbled into a million tiny bits that flung themselves to the far corners of the solar system.  I couldn't fathom how to get through that day, or the next, or the next.  I remember thinking, What does November even look like?  Or next summer?  How do I even get there? ...

Delivery

  I met a friend at a coffee shop yesterday afternoon for our monthly catch-up.  I arrived first, and while I was placing my order, I saw a former client of mine.  We hadn't seen each other in quite a while, and greeted each other with smiles and a hug.   I know what's coming. We exchanged pleasantries and small talk.   Any minute now... She asked a few questions about how my work was going and told me about her workouts and what she had been doing.   Any second now... And then she asked it.  The question I knew was coming.   "How's your husband doing?" "My husband died."  No hesitation.  No preamble.  No introduction.   She recoiled, took a step back, hand on her chest, jaw wide open. "Oh my God," she stammered.  "I'm so sorry.  I don't...I can't...I'm so sorry." I gave her a sympathetic smile.  "I'm sorry," I offered.  "I'm still working on my delivery.  I'm not quite sure how...

Signs

  It was Tuesday, March 10, last week.  It was my 47th birthday.  It was the first birthday since Scott died.  It was the first birthday since my mom moved into memory care.  Shannon was in Oregon working.  The alarm went off that morning at 4:00 am.  I had to be out the door for dog walk by 4:45 to get to my first clients by 6:30.  At 4:30, I started getting ready.  Put on my walking clothes, layering appropriately.  Put on the glowing green dog collars.  Grabbed my flashlight so I could see where I was going in the heavy darkness that is 4:45 am.   The dogs and I headed across the pasture on the same route we've done nearly every day since Scott died, the same walk he had done nearly every day since we moved into our house.  We made our way along the creek, up the switchbacks, onto the bench behind the house.  As we walked, I was throwing myself a pity party.  Here I was, once again walking in the darkness...