Skip to main content

River Time

 


"River time," Lisa said with a smile.

"River time!" I repeated as I settled onto the sand for our morning meditation.  

"River time.  How do we carry river time with us into our daily routines when we get back home? That's the morning meditation today," Lisa explained as she took a seat on the sand.

Shannon and Brett followed suit, and the meditation began.

River time is magic time.  There is no agenda, no hurry, no stress.  We only have to get from point A to point B in the course of each day.  We are immersed in nature for days, eating, drinking, sleeping outside.  Of course, I found Levity on this trip.  Of course, Joy and Acceptance and Gratitude and Peace arrived.  They had space to arrive.  Simplicity allows for Clarity, and the river is nothing but simple.

Could I hold on to my new party guests when I returned to the real world?

Heidi, this is reality, I reminded myself.  Yes, but it's a much simpler form of reality.

My mind was quiet on the final morning meditation.  Once again, I lay on my back on the sand, feeling the earth supporting me as I watched the tree tops and the birds circling high overhead in an ocean of sky.  I felt calm.  I felt Peace sitting close by, smiling at me and with me.  I hoped my new guests would come along for the journey home.  I didn't know if they would, but all I could do was try.

Slowly, we got up and climbed onto the boats.  The day was perfect.  Bright blue sky, warm air, a stunning canyon, and three of my very best friends who helped transform me from a sobbing mess on the floor to the tenth version of my new self, stronger, more assertive, and happy once again.

The miles passed quietly and too quickly.  I didn't want it to end.  

"Let's keep going," I said to Shannon as we floated along in the current.  "Let's refuel in Riggins and keep going."

"I would love to.  Wouldn't that be cool?"

We both smiled at the thought, quiet for a few moments.

"I wasn't going to say anything, but we're close enough to the take-out that I feel safe in saying it," Shannon said with a grin.

"What's that?" I asked, grinning back at him.

"We've had a tailwind all morning!" he exclaimed, then laughed.  "That NEVER happens!  A tailwind!  On the Main!  All morning!"

I nodded, and we both laughed.  My heart swelled with Gratitude for this magical river canyon, for these wonderful friends who took the leap with me, and for this trip that was more powerful and more healing than I ever thought possible.  I tilted my face to the sun and laughed more.

Yes.  This is reality.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Heavy

  I keep wondering if I'm approaching my breaking point.  What does that look like? It's too much.  But I've been saying it's too much for a while now.  So when is it actually too much? I pushed "Send" and my text whooshed off to my best friend, Denise.  Three dots immediately popped up on my screen.   You're stronger than you think.  Tell your brain to shut up.  You got this! I smiled at her reply, even if I doubted her confidence. In August, my husband of 17 years died.  One day, he was alive, healthy, vibrant, and strong.  The next day, he was dead.  Just like that.  No warning.  No preparation.  In an instant, my world crumbled into a million tiny bits that flung themselves to the far corners of the solar system.  I couldn't fathom how to get through that day, or the next, or the next.  I remember thinking, What does November even look like?  Or next summer?  How do I even get there? ...

Delivery

  I met a friend at a coffee shop yesterday afternoon for our monthly catch-up.  I arrived first, and while I was placing my order, I saw a former client of mine.  We hadn't seen each other in quite a while, and greeted each other with smiles and a hug.   I know what's coming. We exchanged pleasantries and small talk.   Any minute now... She asked a few questions about how my work was going and told me about her workouts and what she had been doing.   Any second now... And then she asked it.  The question I knew was coming.   "How's your husband doing?" "My husband died."  No hesitation.  No preamble.  No introduction.   She recoiled, took a step back, hand on her chest, jaw wide open. "Oh my God," she stammered.  "I'm so sorry.  I don't...I can't...I'm so sorry." I gave her a sympathetic smile.  "I'm sorry," I offered.  "I'm still working on my delivery.  I'm not quite sure how...

Signs

  It was Tuesday, March 10, last week.  It was my 47th birthday.  It was the first birthday since Scott died.  It was the first birthday since my mom moved into memory care.  Shannon was in Oregon working.  The alarm went off that morning at 4:00 am.  I had to be out the door for dog walk by 4:45 to get to my first clients by 6:30.  At 4:30, I started getting ready.  Put on my walking clothes, layering appropriately.  Put on the glowing green dog collars.  Grabbed my flashlight so I could see where I was going in the heavy darkness that is 4:45 am.   The dogs and I headed across the pasture on the same route we've done nearly every day since Scott died, the same walk he had done nearly every day since we moved into our house.  We made our way along the creek, up the switchbacks, onto the bench behind the house.  As we walked, I was throwing myself a pity party.  Here I was, once again walking in the darkness...