Skip to main content

Gratitude

 


During dinner the previous evening, I asked if anyone had a suggestion for today's meditation.  I can't remember who said it first, but three of us all had the idea of Gratitude in our minds.  Gratitude it is.

I have been chasing Gratitude for weeks.  She wanted to stay, but kept getting crowded out by all the other party guests.  Manic and Rage, Infinite Sadness, Despair, and Anxiety are all much louder and insistent.  Gratitude kept trying.  I hoped, as we settled on Gratitude, that she might become a permanent resident.  

Day four on the river was a short day, only ten miles, so we all slept in and had an easy morning.  After breakfast, we walked up the trail to a stunning rock outcropping high above the river that offered majestic views of the canyon in both directions.

"Let's do our meditation here," Brett suggested.  

It was the perfect spot for Gratitude to arrive.  We each found a spot on the rocks and settled in.  I tried to close my eyes, but today, on this morning, they insisted on being open.  I relented, fixing my gaze on a towering Ponderosa across the river.  The sun felt like a warm blanket fresh from the dryer draped over my shoulders.  I inhaled deeply, breathing in the scents of pine and earth.  

Gratitude.  I have been waiting for you to come and stay with me for a long time.  You've been in and out.  Can you stay now?  This time, can you stay?

I thought about these three wonderful people, Lisa, Brett, and Shannon, who took a monstrous emotional leap of faith in agreeing to come on this trip.  I thought about all the people who dropped their worlds to help me pick up mine.  I felt Gratitude sit down next to me and put her arm around my shoulders.

I'm here, she whispered, and this time I'm not going anywhere.

Tears trickled from the corners of my eyes as I became fully, overwhelmingly enveloped in Gratitude.  I thought I knew Gratitude before THAT DAY.  I thought I knew her well, and I thought I found her often.  But not like this.  On this day, I truly felt Gratitude for the first time in my life.  I felt her squeeze my heart, then allow it to fill and swell.  I felt the dark heaviness fall into the canyon and drift away on the river currents.  Sadness remained, but she moved aside to make space.  

Be present.  Be here.  Feel.  See.  Listen.  Inhale.  Exhale.  This is what it's all about.  This is why we are here.   

I nodded.  My heart was still broken into infinite pieces, and it was also whole again.  Infinite Sadness sat close by, and so did Gratitude.  It was possible, I realized, for them to exist together at the same time.  I smiled as I wiped my tears.  

As a group, we rose from the rocks and made our way back to camp and the boats.  The sun was shining, the air was warm, and the wind was calm.  It was another perfect day on the river, and Gratitude was everywhere.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Heavy

  I keep wondering if I'm approaching my breaking point.  What does that look like? It's too much.  But I've been saying it's too much for a while now.  So when is it actually too much? I pushed "Send" and my text whooshed off to my best friend, Denise.  Three dots immediately popped up on my screen.   You're stronger than you think.  Tell your brain to shut up.  You got this! I smiled at her reply, even if I doubted her confidence. In August, my husband of 17 years died.  One day, he was alive, healthy, vibrant, and strong.  The next day, he was dead.  Just like that.  No warning.  No preparation.  In an instant, my world crumbled into a million tiny bits that flung themselves to the far corners of the solar system.  I couldn't fathom how to get through that day, or the next, or the next.  I remember thinking, What does November even look like?  Or next summer?  How do I even get there? ...

Delivery

  I met a friend at a coffee shop yesterday afternoon for our monthly catch-up.  I arrived first, and while I was placing my order, I saw a former client of mine.  We hadn't seen each other in quite a while, and greeted each other with smiles and a hug.   I know what's coming. We exchanged pleasantries and small talk.   Any minute now... She asked a few questions about how my work was going and told me about her workouts and what she had been doing.   Any second now... And then she asked it.  The question I knew was coming.   "How's your husband doing?" "My husband died."  No hesitation.  No preamble.  No introduction.   She recoiled, took a step back, hand on her chest, jaw wide open. "Oh my God," she stammered.  "I'm so sorry.  I don't...I can't...I'm so sorry." I gave her a sympathetic smile.  "I'm sorry," I offered.  "I'm still working on my delivery.  I'm not quite sure how...

Signs

  It was Tuesday, March 10, last week.  It was my 47th birthday.  It was the first birthday since Scott died.  It was the first birthday since my mom moved into memory care.  Shannon was in Oregon working.  The alarm went off that morning at 4:00 am.  I had to be out the door for dog walk by 4:45 to get to my first clients by 6:30.  At 4:30, I started getting ready.  Put on my walking clothes, layering appropriately.  Put on the glowing green dog collars.  Grabbed my flashlight so I could see where I was going in the heavy darkness that is 4:45 am.   The dogs and I headed across the pasture on the same route we've done nearly every day since Scott died, the same walk he had done nearly every day since we moved into our house.  We made our way along the creek, up the switchbacks, onto the bench behind the house.  As we walked, I was throwing myself a pity party.  Here I was, once again walking in the darkness...