Skip to main content

Forgiveness

 


"Forgiveness," Brett said softly.

I inhaled slowly, exhaled.  "Forgiveness," I repeated.  

"Forgiveness," Shannon murmured.  "Oof.  That's a heavy one."

"Forgiveness of others or forgiveness of ourselves?" Lisa asked.

Brett smiled.  "Yes."

Our meditation intention had been chosen.

As we settled on the beach that morning, I felt the sand calling me down into it, so I lay on my back and stared at the sky.  

Forgiveness.  

In the aftermath of THAT DAY, I had a few people ask me if I felt guilt at all, if I felt there was something I could have done or should have done or wished I would have done.  No.  The answer was always no.  Scott and I always, every night for as long as I remember, hugged goodnight and exchanged "I love you."  It was always intentional and heartfelt.  That last night was no different.  We had a great evening together, just hanging out and enjoying each other's company.  We watched a stupid movie, then I went to bed after our hug and I love you exchange.  I wouldn't change a thing about it.  As for his death, there is nothing I could have done.  He went to sleep and didn't wake up.  His death is how we all want to go.  So no.  I have no guilt.  I have nothing to forgive myself for.

Forgiveness

Anger is a common response in grief, and I had several people ask me if I was mad at Scott for leaving me.  Again, no.  I have never felt anger toward Scott.  I have had anger, but it was directed outward at all the people going about their safe, comfortable lives, when mine had been hit by an earthquake, tsunami, and tornado all at once.  A good friend of mine recently lost his wife, and we met for dinner one evening to compare notes about our experiences.  I expressed to him how much anger I felt toward other people.

"Yeah, I understand," he said.  "But here's what I've learned since my wife passed away.  Heidi, everyone is dealing with something.  Everyone.  But the days keep coming, and we are forced to move forward."

Yes.  Everyone is dealing with something.  

Forgiveness.

During one of the long, sleepless nights after THAT DAY, I was talking with Shannon on the phone.  It was late, I was crying, and I asked him, "Why?  Why is Scott dead when there are so many horrible people still alive?  It doesn't make any sense."  I could feel Anger arriving.

"Heidi," Shannon said quietly, "asking why is pointless.  You won't get an answer.  It's a waste of time and energy."

I sniffled, felt Anger take a step back.

"You can't get these days back," he continued gently.  "Grieve.  Be sad. Be mad.  Feel everything you need to feel.  But don't waste your energy asking questions you will never answer.  Put that energy into something good."

Forgiveness.

As I lay on my back on the sand, watching the tops of the trees and staring into the cloudless morning sky, I felt myself settle.  Perhaps Forgiveness gave Anger a gentle shove.  Maybe Anger realized he was no longer welcome or needed.  Either way, I felt Anger dissipate.  Surrender, Joy, Acceptance, and Gratitude lay on the sand with me.  I smiled, got up, and got ready for another amazing day on the river with three astounding people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Heavy

  I keep wondering if I'm approaching my breaking point.  What does that look like? It's too much.  But I've been saying it's too much for a while now.  So when is it actually too much? I pushed "Send" and my text whooshed off to my best friend, Denise.  Three dots immediately popped up on my screen.   You're stronger than you think.  Tell your brain to shut up.  You got this! I smiled at her reply, even if I doubted her confidence. In August, my husband of 17 years died.  One day, he was alive, healthy, vibrant, and strong.  The next day, he was dead.  Just like that.  No warning.  No preparation.  In an instant, my world crumbled into a million tiny bits that flung themselves to the far corners of the solar system.  I couldn't fathom how to get through that day, or the next, or the next.  I remember thinking, What does November even look like?  Or next summer?  How do I even get there? ...

Delivery

  I met a friend at a coffee shop yesterday afternoon for our monthly catch-up.  I arrived first, and while I was placing my order, I saw a former client of mine.  We hadn't seen each other in quite a while, and greeted each other with smiles and a hug.   I know what's coming. We exchanged pleasantries and small talk.   Any minute now... She asked a few questions about how my work was going and told me about her workouts and what she had been doing.   Any second now... And then she asked it.  The question I knew was coming.   "How's your husband doing?" "My husband died."  No hesitation.  No preamble.  No introduction.   She recoiled, took a step back, hand on her chest, jaw wide open. "Oh my God," she stammered.  "I'm so sorry.  I don't...I can't...I'm so sorry." I gave her a sympathetic smile.  "I'm sorry," I offered.  "I'm still working on my delivery.  I'm not quite sure how...

Signs

  It was Tuesday, March 10, last week.  It was my 47th birthday.  It was the first birthday since Scott died.  It was the first birthday since my mom moved into memory care.  Shannon was in Oregon working.  The alarm went off that morning at 4:00 am.  I had to be out the door for dog walk by 4:45 to get to my first clients by 6:30.  At 4:30, I started getting ready.  Put on my walking clothes, layering appropriately.  Put on the glowing green dog collars.  Grabbed my flashlight so I could see where I was going in the heavy darkness that is 4:45 am.   The dogs and I headed across the pasture on the same route we've done nearly every day since Scott died, the same walk he had done nearly every day since we moved into our house.  We made our way along the creek, up the switchbacks, onto the bench behind the house.  As we walked, I was throwing myself a pity party.  Here I was, once again walking in the darkness...