Skip to main content

Colorado Epic Prologue

 


I’ve had my eye on this bicycle tour for five years.  Two weeks, high altitude, nearly 1,000 miles, over 60,000 feet of climbing in Colorado’s high peaks, all by bicycle.  The Colorado Epic.  Sounds like a dream to me.  

Last year, I did a one-week Colorado bike tour with a great group of cyclists, and had an outstanding time.  At the end of the week, I wanted more.  I knew I had to make the two-week tour happen.  I reached out to a few of my fellow cyclists from the one-week tour, and two of them, Tom and Jim, agreed to register for the two-week Epic.  We needed five for the company to make it a go.  I registered in October.  Jim and Tom quickly followed.  We needed two more.  I checked my email daily, hoping for the email confirmation from the company that the tour was a go.  I waited, checked, waited, checked again.  

Finally, it came!  Tour is a GO!  July 2025.  Colorado Epic!  Let the training begin.

I started training in March.  I rode nearly every day, through the shit spring weather, the sleet, rain, wind, snow, and cold.  I rode on the rare sunny days, hoping the sun would thaw my frozen bones.  I cursed the wind, holding on to the mantra of, “a headwind is just a bonus climb.”  I added hill sprints once a week.  I strung together as many consecutive days of riding as my schedule would allow, regardless of the weather.  

March oozed into April, April flung itself into May.  The weather warmed, the wind eased, and my rides grew longer and harder.  I trained and trained, climbing every hill and mountain I could find.  May swept into June, June burst into July.  

Finally, it was time.  I packed up my truck on Thursday and headed south to Colorado.  I spent last night in Wyoming with my BFF and did an easy shake out ride this morning at altitude.  I feel strong.  I feel ready.  I am beyond excited.  I’ve waited for this tour for five years, and now it’s finally here.  Tomorrow, we ride.  Let the Epic begin!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beginning

  "I just need a copy of your insurance card," I heard the office manager say as I walked down the hallway toward the waiting room. "I gave it to them next door.  Can't you get it from them?" a male voice replied. I grimaced as I continued toward the waiting room.  The physical therapy office where I worked was in the same building as an orthopedic surgeon's clinic.  Most people assumed we were the same business.  The office manager had to clarify multiple times a day that we were two separate businesses, and the repetition made her cranky.   As I reached the waiting room, I listened to her icily launch into her speech about how the two businesses were separate and we needed our own copy of the insurance.  I stopped and waited for her to finish, looking at the back of the man standing in front of her window.  He was tall, with broad shoulders, thick hair. and muscular calves.   After the manager finished her tirade, the man shrugged...

Rescue Boats

  I stood in a dark room in the bottom of a sinking ship.  I felt the ship listing, heard water pouring into the openings.  I glanced to my left and noticed a doorway.  Just outside the doorway was a staircase.  Water came gushing down the stairs, roaring in anger as it tried to consume the ship.   I have to get to a higher place on the ship,  I thought as I scrambled toward the doorway. I fought my way up the staircase against the flood of water pummeling down on me.  One step, then another, water heavy on me, trying with all its might to push me down to the bottom of the ship.  I struggled, forcing my legs to move.  Another step up.  More water threatening to take me back down.  Another step, then another, and another.  Finally, slowly, I managed to reach the top of the staircase.  The staircase opened onto the top deck of the ship.  I rushed to the railing and looked out at the sea, wondering how I was go...

The Heavy

  I keep wondering if I'm approaching my breaking point.  What does that look like? It's too much.  But I've been saying it's too much for a while now.  So when is it actually too much? I pushed "Send" and my text whooshed off to my best friend, Denise.  Three dots immediately popped up on my screen.   You're stronger than you think.  Tell your brain to shut up.  You got this! I smiled at her reply, even if I doubted her confidence. In August, my husband of 17 years died.  One day, he was alive, healthy, vibrant, and strong.  The next day, he was dead.  Just like that.  No warning.  No preparation.  In an instant, my world crumbled into a million tiny bits that flung themselves to the far corners of the solar system.  I couldn't fathom how to get through that day, or the next, or the next.  I remember thinking, What does November even look like?  Or next summer?  How do I even get there? ...