Skip to main content

Colorado Epic: Day Nine

 


Ouray to Camp V

Today, by tour standards, was to be an easy 85 mile recovery ride.  We only had 3,500 feet of climbing.  We only had one pass to climb with a summit hovering at 9,000 feet.  The day was mostly trending downward in elevation.  It should have been an easy day.  

It started out great.  Leadout Leslie took us down the canyon, flowing along easily under heavy clouds.  The climb came quickly, and as we started up, I spun easily.  I wanted to get as much recovery today as I could, because tomorrow is another big day.  Up the climb I went, feeling really good and convincing my legs to slow down and pedal softly.  The views of the peaks were stunning.  I reached the summit feeling great.  


We dropped off the top, down into a gorgeous red canyon, following the river as it twisted and turned alongside the road.  There was a bit of a tailwind, and we cruised easily down the road.  I was having so much fun and feeling really strong.  My legs were spinning easily with the tailwind and loss of elevation.  Recovery felt great.  

And that’s when I made a crucial mistake.  Because we had mostly been descending and I had been spinning so easily, I didn’t eat enough at the van stop in the canyon.  I had a few bits and pieces, downed a gel, and off we went.  We had a two mile climb to get out of the canyon, then another few miles to lunch.  The climb felt great.  I felt strong.  As soon as I reached the summit, I tanked.  Suddenly, I hated everything.  EVERYTHING.  The minimal traffic made my blood boil.  The tiny bit of headwind was insufferable.  Tom’s freewheel spinning behind me sounded like fingernails on a chalkboard.  I knew I was on the verge of an epic bonk, and willed the van to appear around the next corner.  And finally, there it was.  Tom and I rolled to a stop.  

In a monotone voice, I asked, “Tom, do you want to get a few more miles or do you feel like chilling for a bit?”

I about cried tears of joy when he said, “No, I’m really hungry.  I want some lunch.”

Thank the sweet gods of cycling.  No extra miles right now.  Just food and water.  I heaped my plate with a serving of delicious pasta with spinach and sun-dried tomatoes, then had a second helping, then ate a veggie salad, then five squares of chocolate, then three cookies.  I still wasn’t full, but I could feel my anger dissipating.  The group hung out for a bit, chatting and enjoying being off the bike.  Then it was time to roll.

As soon as I took my first pedal strokes, I felt better.  The pasta coursed through my veins as I plowed into the head and crosswinds.  Down we went, continuing to lose elevation.  The road plunged and curved, the wind shifted head to side to tail to head.  I felt great.  The last 25 miles passed easily, and we reached our lodging quickly.

Tomorrow is another big day.  Time to go eat more.

Total miles: 85

Total elevation: 3,524

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Heavy

  I keep wondering if I'm approaching my breaking point.  What does that look like? It's too much.  But I've been saying it's too much for a while now.  So when is it actually too much? I pushed "Send" and my text whooshed off to my best friend, Denise.  Three dots immediately popped up on my screen.   You're stronger than you think.  Tell your brain to shut up.  You got this! I smiled at her reply, even if I doubted her confidence. In August, my husband of 17 years died.  One day, he was alive, healthy, vibrant, and strong.  The next day, he was dead.  Just like that.  No warning.  No preparation.  In an instant, my world crumbled into a million tiny bits that flung themselves to the far corners of the solar system.  I couldn't fathom how to get through that day, or the next, or the next.  I remember thinking, What does November even look like?  Or next summer?  How do I even get there? ...

Delivery

  I met a friend at a coffee shop yesterday afternoon for our monthly catch-up.  I arrived first, and while I was placing my order, I saw a former client of mine.  We hadn't seen each other in quite a while, and greeted each other with smiles and a hug.   I know what's coming. We exchanged pleasantries and small talk.   Any minute now... She asked a few questions about how my work was going and told me about her workouts and what she had been doing.   Any second now... And then she asked it.  The question I knew was coming.   "How's your husband doing?" "My husband died."  No hesitation.  No preamble.  No introduction.   She recoiled, took a step back, hand on her chest, jaw wide open. "Oh my God," she stammered.  "I'm so sorry.  I don't...I can't...I'm so sorry." I gave her a sympathetic smile.  "I'm sorry," I offered.  "I'm still working on my delivery.  I'm not quite sure how...

Signs

  It was Tuesday, March 10, last week.  It was my 47th birthday.  It was the first birthday since Scott died.  It was the first birthday since my mom moved into memory care.  Shannon was in Oregon working.  The alarm went off that morning at 4:00 am.  I had to be out the door for dog walk by 4:45 to get to my first clients by 6:30.  At 4:30, I started getting ready.  Put on my walking clothes, layering appropriately.  Put on the glowing green dog collars.  Grabbed my flashlight so I could see where I was going in the heavy darkness that is 4:45 am.   The dogs and I headed across the pasture on the same route we've done nearly every day since Scott died, the same walk he had done nearly every day since we moved into our house.  We made our way along the creek, up the switchbacks, onto the bench behind the house.  As we walked, I was throwing myself a pity party.  Here I was, once again walking in the darkness...