Skip to main content

Colorado Epic: Day Five

 


A few nights ago, I sat down and planned out exactly how many extra miles each day Tom and I need to get to reach 1,000 miles for the two weeks (Tom loved my idea of 1,000 miles so has happily, and sometimes unhappily, rode with me for all the extras).  We need to ride an average of ten extra miles each day on our scheduled ride days.  Tom had the idea of adding extra miles here and there throughout the day, so that’s what we’ve been doing.  He and I, along with Jim, usually reach the van stops first. Rather than waiting for the rest of the group to arrive, we grab some snacks and water, then turn around and ride back the way we came for a few miles.  When we see the other group members or get to our prescribed added mileage, we turn around and head back toward the van.  This method has been working really well.  Some days, the extra miles have been easy.  Other days, like yesterday, were miserable.  The whimsical, delightful tailwind down the canyon became a writhing, foaming, fuming mass of turmoil when we had to ride into it.  But we got it done.

Today was a scheduled rest day.  Tom and I needed to do 50 miles today.  We agreed to ride easy, enjoy the sights, and let the legs spin.  Up Taylor Canyon we went, following the river.  The sky was overcast and the air was cool.  It was the perfect recovery ride.  We climbed 1,300 feet without realizing it.  My legs enjoyed the mellow pace and the cool air.  I didn’t feel like a roasted tomato.  We reached the turnaround point and cruised back down the canyon, back onto the busy highway, and back into town.  

Adventures like this tour tend to be consuming.  If someone asked me what day it is today, my answer would be, “day five.”  The daily rhythm and simplicity narrows the focus.  Wake up.  Ride.  Eat.  Ride more.  Eat more.  Ride more.  Eat more.  Shower.  Eat more.  Sleep.  Repeat.  It’s easy to forget the problems and heaviness of real life, or at least find more distance from them.  It feels like I’ve been on this tour forever, and also that it’s only begun.

My legs continue to surprise me with how good they are feeling.  All that spring training is paying off!  My neck and shoulders are sore, and my undercarriage is a chafed mess.  It’s all part of the fun.  

Daily mileage tally:

Day one: 36.6 miles and 2,510 feet of climbing

Day two: 70 miles and 5,840 feet of climbing

Day three: 88 miles and 3,655 feet of climbing

Day four: 100 miles and 3,474 feet of climbing

Today: 50 miles and 1,371 feet of climbing

Tomorrow, we enter the real mountains.  We’ve been to 9,000 feet a few times, and 10,000 feet yesterday.  Tomorrow we pass 11,000.  I think it’s nap time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Heavy

  I keep wondering if I'm approaching my breaking point.  What does that look like? It's too much.  But I've been saying it's too much for a while now.  So when is it actually too much? I pushed "Send" and my text whooshed off to my best friend, Denise.  Three dots immediately popped up on my screen.   You're stronger than you think.  Tell your brain to shut up.  You got this! I smiled at her reply, even if I doubted her confidence. In August, my husband of 17 years died.  One day, he was alive, healthy, vibrant, and strong.  The next day, he was dead.  Just like that.  No warning.  No preparation.  In an instant, my world crumbled into a million tiny bits that flung themselves to the far corners of the solar system.  I couldn't fathom how to get through that day, or the next, or the next.  I remember thinking, What does November even look like?  Or next summer?  How do I even get there? ...

Delivery

  I met a friend at a coffee shop yesterday afternoon for our monthly catch-up.  I arrived first, and while I was placing my order, I saw a former client of mine.  We hadn't seen each other in quite a while, and greeted each other with smiles and a hug.   I know what's coming. We exchanged pleasantries and small talk.   Any minute now... She asked a few questions about how my work was going and told me about her workouts and what she had been doing.   Any second now... And then she asked it.  The question I knew was coming.   "How's your husband doing?" "My husband died."  No hesitation.  No preamble.  No introduction.   She recoiled, took a step back, hand on her chest, jaw wide open. "Oh my God," she stammered.  "I'm so sorry.  I don't...I can't...I'm so sorry." I gave her a sympathetic smile.  "I'm sorry," I offered.  "I'm still working on my delivery.  I'm not quite sure how...

Signs

  It was Tuesday, March 10, last week.  It was my 47th birthday.  It was the first birthday since Scott died.  It was the first birthday since my mom moved into memory care.  Shannon was in Oregon working.  The alarm went off that morning at 4:00 am.  I had to be out the door for dog walk by 4:45 to get to my first clients by 6:30.  At 4:30, I started getting ready.  Put on my walking clothes, layering appropriately.  Put on the glowing green dog collars.  Grabbed my flashlight so I could see where I was going in the heavy darkness that is 4:45 am.   The dogs and I headed across the pasture on the same route we've done nearly every day since Scott died, the same walk he had done nearly every day since we moved into our house.  We made our way along the creek, up the switchbacks, onto the bench behind the house.  As we walked, I was throwing myself a pity party.  Here I was, once again walking in the darkness...